Skip to main content

If my spouse or tax dependents have their own health insurance, can I enroll them in the State HDHP and cover their qualified medical expenses with funds from my HSA?

If your spouse or tax dependent carries their own health insurance policy that is not a state health insurance plan (e.g., through another employer, Medicare, Medicaid), you can cover them under your State HDHP and use your HSA funds for otherwise unreimbursed qualified medical expenses (QME) incurred by them.

Note:  Your spouse and tax dependents do not need to be covered by your State HDHP or any other insurance for their QME to be reimbursable through your HSA.