Skip to main content

Can I contribute to my HSA if I am age 65 and covered under an HDHP?

Yes. You can contribute to your HSA as long as you are an eligible individual and have not enrolled in Medicare Part A, B, or D. Once you enroll in Medicare you can no longer contribute to your HSA.

For example, if you enroll in Medicare effective July 1, you are no longer eligible to contribute to an HSA as of July 1. Your maximum contribution for that year would be for 6 months of that year (you were eligible the first six months of the year). You could also only contribute half of the allowed catch-up amount for that year.

If you turn age 65, are still working, and are not enrolled in Medicare, you are still eligible to contribute to your HSA.