Skip to main content

How do I qualify for the State HDHP's HSA?

To qualify and be eligible to make and receive contributions into the State HSA, you must meet all the following conditions:

  • You must be covered by the State HDHP.
  • You or your spouse cannot be enrolled in a General Purpose Health Care (GPHC) Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or a Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA). You can, however, be enrolled in a Limited Purpose Health Care (LPHC) FSA.
  • You cannot be covered by any other non-HDHP health insurance.
  • You cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return.
  • You are not enrolled in benefits under Medicare.

You can be covered under two HDHPs. If your employer and your spouse's employer both offer HDHPs, you can opt for double coverage and, if you have no other disqualifying coverage, still contribute to your HSA.

Note: Tax penalties may be imposed on ineligible persons enrolling in an HSA. If you have other non-HDHP health coverage, including Medicare, or can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return, to avoid these tax penalties you should not enroll in the HDHP. It is your responsibility to ensure you are eligible to receive HSA contributions under the IRS rules.