The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Dental Care Options
Please review the following information regarding dental care options available to State of Michigan Employees. Information describing specific plan benefits, exclusions and limitations are available from the benefit plan administrators. If you are a seasonal, part-time, permanent intermittent, or job sharing employee, or if you are a State employee married to another State employee/retiree, see the Employee Eligibility page. For rate information please refer to the Insurance Premium Rates page.
State Dental Plan-Delta Dental Plan of Michigan
Delta Dental of Michigan
The State will cover 95% of the total premium1, and you will pay the remaining 5% premium charge via payroll deductions. This plan covers preventive services (exams and cleanings) at 100% of the usual, customary, and reasonable charge; radiographs (x-rays), oral surgery, extractions, restoratives, periodontics, and endodontics at 90%; orthodontics at 60%; and sealants for children and prosthodontics (including repairs) at 50%. You are responsible for paying any remaining charges for these services. These charges may be higher if you obtain services from a non-participating dentist. This plan will pay a total of $1,500 in basic benefits per member each benefit year (October - September). There is a separate lifetime maximum of $1,500 payable per member for orthodontics.
Preventive Dental Plan-Delta Dental Plan of Michigan
Delta Dental of Michigan
The State will cover the full premium cost of this plan1 and, if you are enrolled, you will receive a $23.10 rebate in November 20202. This preventive care plan covers diagnostic exams, x-rays, and cleanings to the same extent as the State Dental Plan. However, no other services are covered. This plan is intended as an option if you have dental coverages elsewhere (e.g., through a spouse who works for a non-State employer). You can use the licensed dental care provider of your choice. However, dentists who participate under a provider contract with the dental vendor have agreed to accept the vendor's scheduled reimbursement; non-participating dentists have not.
If you are enrolled in another non-State group dental plan, you can opt out completely and still receive a $23.10 rebate in January2 by selecting "Dental Waive with Rebate." If you are enrolled in the Preventive Dental Plan or waive the dental benefit, and your coverages are terminated mid-year, you will have to return, via a deduction from your pay warrant, a pro-rata portion of any lump sum rebate you receive, as it was originally paid to you up front for the full 12-month enrollment. Conversely, if you newly enroll in the Preventive Dental Plan mid-year, you will receive a payment on a pro-rata basis following your new enrollment.
1Except for those employees in certain bargaining units who are hired on or after 1/1/00 who have a regular work schedule of 40 hours or less per bi-weekly pay period (not permanent-intermittent positions).
2The lump-sum rebate received for enrolling in either the preventive Dental Plan or Waiving Dental Care Benefits is not available to those employees who are covered by another State Of Michigan Employee or Retiree.