Proposed Michigan K-12 Social Studies Standards
Over three years ago, the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) joined 27 other states to create the College, Career, and Civic Life (C3) Framework for Social Studies. For the past 16 months, the social studies community has updated and reviewed the Michigan Social Studies Standards through the lens of the C3 Framework. Update committees for grades K-8 and 9-12 consisting of representatives from the Michigan Council for Civil Education, Michigan Council for Economic Education, Michigan Geographic Alliance, the Michigan Council for History Education, and the Michigan Council for the Social Studies, reviewed and edited Michigan’s content expectations. Review committees consisting of parallel membership, provided a second review to ensure consistency and accuracy. These efforts have been shared with the State Board of Education. A final review committee, an external review committee, and a focus group further refined the documents.
With the great interest in the development of the revised Social Studies standards, the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) is extending the public input period to September 30, 2018.
Following the 11 “Listen and Learn” public input sessions already conducted across the state (listed below), MDE will add more dates and sites that will run from August through September.
The dates and locations of the future Listen and Learn events still are being finalized, with plans to include sites in the U.P., Northern Michigan, West Michigan, Metro Detroit, and Ann Arbor areas. The details will be made public when they are finalized.
Listen and Learn Sessions are all scheduled to run from 6:00 - 8:00 pm and will be held at the following locations:
- June 5 - Ottawa ISD, Holland
- June 6 - Michigan Library & Historical Center, Lansing
- June 7 - Detroit Historical Museum, Detroit
- June 11 - Wayne RESA, Wayne
- June 13 - Wexford-Missaukee ISD, Cadillac
- June 18 - Genesee Intermediate School District, Erwin L. Davis Education Center, Room ABCD, Flint
- June 19 - Saginaw ISD, Saginaw
- June 20 - Oakland Schools, Waterford
- June 26 - Eastern Upper Peninsula, Sault Ste. Marie
- June 27 - Michigan Library & Historical Center, Lansing
- June 28 - Kent ISD, Grand Rapids
- August 8 - Kalamazoo Central High School Auditorium, Kalamazoo
- August 9 - Washtenaw ISD, Ann Arbor
- August 30 - Saginaw High School, Saginaw
- September 13 - King High School, Detroit
- September 18 - Marquette-Alger RESA, Marquette
- September 19 - University Center of Gaylord, Gaylord
- September 20 - Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant