How to File a Complaint

State Civil Rights

Michigan school districts must adopt written procedures for the prompt resolution of complaints of discrimination or harassment. These procedures are available at any district school or office. District procedures are often printed in school student and parent handbooks. Many districts also post this information on their district or school web sites. It is ideal to alert the local Michigan school district first of any concerns and follow its procedures for investigation and resolution, however, complaints can be filed with the U.S. Department of Education at any time.  The Office of Civil Rights that oversees complaints in Michigan can be contacted at:

Office for Civil Rights,

Cleveland Office

U.S. Department of Education

1350 Euclind Avenue, Suite 325

Cleveland, OH 44115

Telephone: (216) 522-4970

Fax: (216) 522-2573


You may also contact Dr. Valerie Milton, at:

P.O. Box 30712

Lansing, MI 48909

Telephone: 517-335-1066

Fax: 517-241-5347



Federal Civil Rights: