School Improvement Grants Section 1003(g)
School Improvement Grant Information
The purpose of Section 1003(g) School Improvement Grants (SIG), authorized under section 1003(g) of Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (Title I or ESEA), is to provide adequate resources in order to raise substantially the achievement of students in the lowest-performing schools. Questions regarding the SIG and the application process can be directed to the School Improvement Support Unit at 517-241-6965 or email
SIG Program Contacts
School Improvement Grant Applications
SIG Cohort III This Cohort received awards in 2014 and is currently in progress; October 1, 214 - September 30, 2017.
SIG Cohort IV This Cohort received awards in the Fall of 2015 and is currently in progress; October 1, 2015 - September 30, 2020.
SIG Cohort V This Cohort received awards in the Fall of 2016 and is currently in progress; October 1, 2016 - September 30, 2021.
Resources for Grantees
Resources for School Improvement Grant recipients including SIG Budget Toolkit, guides for SIG positions, and helpful user guides for state systems for grant applications and grant reporting.
External Service Provider Information for SIG Section 1003(g)
External Service Providers (ESPs) can register their business or organization by creating an account, providing all of the required information, and completing all required fields. Once completed and submitted, our team will reviewed and post your company on the registry.
School and Districts can access the registry and find ESPs by searching their names and/or by using key words! If you are interested in working with an External Service Provider who does not currently appear on the registry, simply have the ESP register.
SIG Monitoring Resources
SIG Monitoring and Compliance is mandated by Federal regulations which require close monitoring of the SIG application and budget.
Legislation and Guidance
- U.S. Department of Education Section 1003(g) Grants Website
- U.S. Department of Education Legislation, Regulations, and Guidance Section 1003(g)
SIG Evaluation in Michigan
WestEd has been awarded a contract to perform an evaluation of the implementation of the SIG in Michigan. Click here to go to the WestEd website.
- SIG Cohort IV Evaluation Research Brief, February 2018
- SIG Cohort IV, Early Learning Intervention Model Report, November 2017
- SIG Cohort IV Evaluation Report, December 2016
- SIG First Year of Grant Implementation in the Third Cohort of Schools, February 2016
- SIG Findings from Cohorts I and II, November 2015
- SIG Outcomes After the Third Year, December 2014
- SIG Outcomes After the First Year, January 2013
- SIG Implementation Trends in the First Year, January 2012