Frequently Asked Questions for MTTC Testing

  1. I am from out-of-state. What Michigan teacher test(s) might I have to take?

Candidates from out-of-state teacher preparation programs and candidates with out-of-state teaching certificates who do not have at least three (3) years of successful teaching experience within the validity and grade level of the teaching certificate held and who have not completed 18 semester hours of approved post-BA study need to complete MTTC tests.

An out-of-state candidate must submit an application for Provisional/Professional Education Teaching Certificate via the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS). The consultant reviewing the candidate's application file will notify the candidate of any testing requirements to be met.

  1. If I already have a Michigan teaching certificate, why am I required to take any tests?

Teachers who hold a valid Michigan teaching certificate are required to take MTTC tests if they are adding a new endorsement to their certificate OR if they are adding elementary certification when they already have secondary certification.  A certified teacher who completes the additional preparation, and applies for a new endorsement or elementary-level certification, will be required to pass only the test for the new subject-area endorsement, or the Elementary Education test, or both, if applicable.

  1. I have been teaching for more than 12 years!  I do not want an additional endorsement.  Why am I required to take tests?

Veteran teachers, who hold a valid Michigan teaching certificate issued before 1992, may also be required to take MTTC tests to satisfy "highly qualified teacher" requirements of the U.S. Congress' No Child Left Behind legislation.

Generally speaking, Michigan's veteran teachers may demonstrate that they are "highly qualified" in a subject-area if they hold an endorsement for that subject-area based on an academic major, or if they hold an endorsement based on an academic minor AND pass the MTTC test appropriate for the subject-area. For example, a teacher holding a secondary certificate with an English endorsement, based on a minor, would take the English MTTC test.

In general, a teacher with an elementary certificate, and teaching in grades K-5 ONLY, does not take the Elementary Education MTTC test for NCLB purposes. However, for specific information, veteran teachers should contact their district, school, or intermediate school district certification or human resource office. Alternatively, a veteran teacher may contact the Teacher Certification Unit of the Michigan Department of Education Office of Professional Preparation Services.

  1. I need my Michigan Test for Teacher Certification results for another state. That state also wants confirmation that I passed the MTTC tests and that MTTC tests are required for teacher certification in Michigan. How do I get this information?

The Michigan Department of Education will not send or communicate MTTC results to anyone. Examinees receive written official reports from Evaluations Systems group of Pearson, formerly known as National Evaluation Systems, Inc., (NES). Those reports contain a printed statement recording whether or not an examinee has passed one or more MTTC tests. If the state does not accept this official report from you, then you may request an additional score report be sent to a certification official in the state that is reviewing your application for teacher certification.

NOTE: ILLINOIS ISBE 73-99 (Confirmation of State Certification Tests Taken) forms required for the Illinois State Board of Education Certification Office are to be executed ONLY by the applicant's Michigan college or university and submitted to the Illinois State Board of Education along with the applicant's original score report. (Do NOT send the ISBE 73-99 form to the Michigan Department of Education.)

The MDE will confirm that MTTC tests are required for Michigan teacher certification. Some states have a form for that purpose. You may send that form to:

Michigan Department of Education

Office of Professional Preparation

P.O. Box 30008

Lansing MI 48909

If you do not have such a form, then you may send a written letter of request, including the name and address of the state official who needs the information, to OPPS.

  1. I have taken, and passed, the Professional Readiness Exam (PRE) or subject-area test(s). How long are the test results valid?

Once the entire Professional Readiness Exam (PRE)(mathematics, reading, and writing) is passed, an individual will never have to take it again to qualify for the issuance or renewal of any Michigan teaching certification in the future.

A passing score on a subject-area test will remain valid for a period of five (5) years. After five years have elapsed and if a certificate or endorsement has not yet been issued, a teacher candidate for certification will be required to retake the test until a passing score is achieved.

  1. I have taken but not yet passed a subject-area test. How many times may I take a test?

There is no limit to the number of times you may retake any MTTC test. However, according to the Michigan Department of Education administrative codes, any test "may continue to be retaken until passed but, after the fourth failure and every subsequent failure, the individual must seek academic counseling from college/university staff in an attempt to overcome testing deficiencies."

  1. Where can I get more information about my options for gaining "highly qualified" status and NCLB?

The Michigan Department of Education has a more detailed on-line document.

  1. Is there any flexibility in the requirements for "highly qualified" teacher status?

Yes, there is some. Since March 2004, flexibility is provided for certain groups of teachers. For example, rural school teachers, science teachers (including biology, chemistry, earth/space science, and physics), social studies teachers (including history, geography, economics, and political science/government/civics), and special education teachers have particular descriptions of what "highly qualified" means for them. These descriptions are explained on-line at NCLB HQ Teacher Flexibility Update.

  1. I am a regular education teacher. What MTTC test(s) should I take for "highly qualified" status for the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) legislation of 2001?

Generally, elementary and secondary teachers who have taken and passed MTTC tests in the subject-areas and instructional levels in the classrooms for which they hold endorsement and to which they are assigned to teach, meet the NCLB highly qualified definition. Also, middle and secondary (grades 6-12) teachers who are assigned to teach in their academic majors, but may not have taken MTTC tests, are considered highly qualified. Elementary and secondary teachers assigned to middle grade or higher classrooms based on their minor subject-area endorsements, or on endorsements for which they have completed course credits that are equivalent to a minor, will be considered highly qualified AFTER they pass the MTTC test that corresponds to the subject-area and instructional level of the classroom in which they teach. Passing a MTTC test does NOT substitute for earning an endorsement in a subject-area.

  1. I am a special education teacher. What MTTC test should I take for "highly qualified" status?

If you hold an elementary teaching certificate and provide direct instruction in special education classes at the elementary level, then the Elementary Education MTTC test is recommended for you.

If you hold a secondary teaching certificate and provide direct instruction in special education classes at the elementary level or teach special education students who are assessed by alternate achievement standards, then the Elementary Education test is also recommended for you.

If you are teaching in special education classes at the secondary level, you must take the specific subject MTTC (or verify "highly qualified" status by way of the Housse options.)

More information is available at NCLB and Highly Qualified Information.