Project 6 - Early Learning Data System
Michigan incorporated data for publicly-funded early learning programs in the Statewide Longitudinal Data System (MSLDS) to support increased understanding of the quality of care and educational experiences of our youngest learners. Michigan also ensured these data were available to families, educators, researchers, and others needing access to data to support early learning improvement. Strategies include:
- Creating a management structure that will plan, organize, regulate, and guide the collection of, access to, and use of MSLDS data;
- Improving the existing Statewide Longitudinal Data System (MSLDS) to create links to all of the essential data elements;
- Increasing access to data to improve program delivery and effectiveness, to inform resource investment and policy decisions, and to empower families to make better decisions for their children; and
- Improving data about early childhood educators to help improve policies that impact Michigan’s early childhood educators.
Head Start and Early Childhood Data Collection Updates
The Center for Educational Performance and Information (CEPI) has completed both the Head Start Data Pilot and the Early Childhood Data Collection Pilot. All Head Start Grantees can start requesting Unique Identification Codes (UIC) for their children. Below is a playlist of tutorial videos and resources to help guide grantees through the process. These pilots were an early phase of the larger RTT-ELC project to have a more complete early childhood data system.
Early Childhood Data Now More Readily Accessible
Four early childhood data reports are now available thanks to the partnership between RTT-ELC and CEPI. To generate the new early childhood reports:
- Go to the MI School Data site
- Click on “Early Childhood”
- Select one of the available reports under "Early Childhood Inquiries" to start using the data.
Once generated, reports can then be downloaded for further use or shared through social media.
For more information on the work of this project, please see the Project 6 Frequently Asked Questions Document.
To learn more about other projects under Michigan's Race to the Top - Early Learning Challenge grant, please visit the Michigan RTT-ELC Projects Page, visit our grant resource page, view our Frequently Asked Questions, or contact us with questions or comments.