The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) is providing School Mental Health Resources.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in reducing the coronavirus risk to Michigan residents. For more information on statewide efforts, please visit the coordinated Michigan Coronavirus website at www.michigan.gov/coronavirus.
Additional Education Information and Resources can be found on the MDE website at the COVID-19 Education Information and Resources page.
Welcome to the School Mental Health Page!
In this day and age, the impact of a student's mental health on his/her ability to learn and achieve academically is becoming more and more widely understood, accepted, and addressed. In order for students to achieve at their greatest potential, they must be educated in a safe and emotionally healthy environment.
This page offers resources, links, materials, and websites that are related to mental health and its importance in the school setting.
Scott Hutchins, School Mental Health and Medicaid Consultant HutchinsS1@michigan.gov, 517-241-7099 - Direct Service Provision, 31n, C4S, Medicaid
Mike Leathead, School Behavioral Health Education Consultant firstname.lastname@example.org, 517-335-1730 - Integration of mental and behavioral health services, trauma informed practices, Youth Mental Health First Aid, Adverse Childhood Experiences, MTSS/PBIS/ISF
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Competencies and Support Documents
- Social and Emotional Learning Competencies
- Connecting Social and Emotional Learning to Michigan’s School Improvement Framework
- Crosswalk of the Michigan Model for Health and SEL Competencies
School Tragedy Resources for Parents and Educators
- Children and Violence - National Institute of Mental Health
- Coping with Violence and Traumatic Events - SAMHSA
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- Tips for Talking to Kids About Traumatic Events
- Mental Health in Schools and Communities... The Parent Perspective
- The National Adolescent Health Information Center has published a brief, The Mental Health of Adolescents: A National Profile, 2008 which presents data on measures ranging from well-being to substantial impairment.
Suicide Prevention Resources:
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - Suicide Prevention
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - Preventing Suicide: A Toolkit for High Schools
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services - Suicide Prevention
- Children's Safety Network - Youth Suicide and Self-Harm Prevention: 2017 Resource Guide
- How to Help Anxious Kids - Child Mind Institute
- Center for School Mental Health Analysis and Action - The Center provides many very useful tools and resources geared specifically to school mental health.
- UCLA School Mental Health Project - This is the other federally funded assistance school mental health technical assistance center. They have many good suggestions for implementing school-wide programs.
- CASEL - Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning
- Edutopia - George Lucas Educational Foundation
- Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports - Positive Behavior and Intervention Supports were established to address the behavioral and discipline systems needed for successful learning and social development of students. The center provides capacity-building information and technical support about behavioral systems to assist states and districts in the design of effective schools.
- Child and Adolescent Health Centers - Child and Adolescent Health Center Program services are aimed at achieving the best possible physical, intellectual, and emotional status of children and adolescents by providing services that are high quality, accessible, and acceptable to youth.
- Second Wind Fund, Inc. - serves youth with a new and unique approach for youth at-risk for suicide, collaborating with communities through schools and professional therapists to ensure suicidal youth have access to mental health services quickly and efficiently.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
Local Programs for Schools:
- National Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children - Equipping professionals with the right tools for trauma counseling.
- MINDS - The Mental Illness Needs Discussion Sessions is an organization that aims at educating young people about mental illness.
- The University of Michigan's Depression Center - The nation's first comprehensive center devoted to depression education and information.
- Ele's Place - A healing center for grieving children. ?