The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Grow-Your-Own Programs School Personnel Grant
Future Proud Michigan Educator Grow Your Own (GYO) Programs School Personnel Grant
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) is continuing the Future Proud Michigan Educator (Future PME) initiative with a new grant opportunity for districts to support K-12 school personnel. This grant is an extension of Michigan’s efforts to grow and diversify the educator workforce and reduce educator shortages through the Future PME initiative.
- Applications must be submitted by Michigan Local Education Agencies (LEAs), Public School Academies (PSAs), or Intermediate School Districts (ISDs). Interested individual staff members should speak with their building and/or district administrator to coordinate an application, which must be submitted by the LEA, PSA, or ISD.
- Applicants are eligible to receive up to $10,000 in funding per employee and may apply for funds to support multiple employees.
- Employees may be either directly employed by the LEA, PSA, or ISD or working in an LEA, PSA, or ISD under contract with a third-party staffing agency.
- Grant funds may be used to support non-certificated employees working toward initial teacher certification or currently certified teachers looking to add an additional endorsement to a Michigan teaching certificate.
- Eligible expenses for this grant include teacher preparation coursework tuition and program fees at an approved Michigan educator preparation provider, licensure testing fees, and substitute permit costs.
- One application should be submitted on behalf of all employees.
- Applications will require detailed information on the need for a Grow Your Own partnership to support district workforce needs, the employees to be supported, and the educator preparation provider with which the applicant will partner on the Grow Your Own initiative. You will be able to preview the necessary information when the application link is announced.
- Once announced, the link to the application and due date will be available here and in the Educationally Speaking newsletter.
- Reimbursement to the LEA, PSA or ISD for incurred expenses will occur in a one-time payment.