MDHHS continues Flint food giveaway; Department distributes vitamin-rich food that limits effects of lead exposure
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Oct. 30, 2019
CONTACT: Bob Wheaton, 517-241-2112
LANSING, Mich. – Flint families may get nutritious food that can limit the effects of lead exposure during mobile food pantry hours set for November at locations throughout Flint.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) has provided the Flint mobile food pantries since February 2016 in partnership with the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan in Flint.
All mobile food pantry sites distribute foods rich in calcium, vitamin C and iron. Food available in November will include apples, potatoes, cabbage and hard squash. Food distribution sites will remain open while supplies last.
“At MDHHS, one of our top priorities is making sure families, seniors and individuals who are in need have easy access to nutritious food,” said Erin Frisch, the department’s senior chief deputy director for opportunity. “This is especially important in Flint – where residents were exposed to lead as a result of the water crisis.”
November dates by location are:
- Asbury United Methodist Church, 1653 Davison Road
- Monday, Nov. 4, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 12, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 19, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 26, at 10 a.m.
- Greater Holy Temple, 6702 N. Dort Hwy
- Tuesday, Nov. 5, at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 14, at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 21, at 10 a.m.
- Calvary United Methodist Church, 2111 Flushing Road
- Thursday, Nov. 7, at 10:30 a.m.
- Flint Muslim Food Pantry, 4400 S. Saginaw St.
- Friday, Nov. 8, at 9 a.m.
- Flint First Wesleyan Church, 3825 Davison Road
- Friday, Nov. 8, at 10 a.m.
- Bethel United Methodist Church, 1309 Ballenger Hwy.
- Monday, Nov. 11, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, Nov. 18, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, Nov. 25, at 10 a.m.
- Salem Lutheran Church, 2610 Martin Luther King Ave.
- Wednesday, Nov. 13, at 10 a.m.
- St. Luke’s NEW Life Center, 3115 Lawndale Ave.
- Friday, Nov. 15, at 10 a.m.
- Second Chance Church, 5306 North St.
- Saturday, Nov. 16, at 9 a.m.
- Hispanic Tech Center, 2101 Lewis St.
- Wednesday, Nov. 20, at 10 a.m.
- Urban Renaissance Center, 2505 N. Chevrolet Ave.
- Tuesday, Nov. 26, at 11 a.m.
Flint residents can also pick up free nutritional food at the three Flint Help Center locations.
They are Bethel United Methodist Church, 1309 N. Ballenger Highway, open from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Mondays; Asbury United Methodist Church, 1653 Davison Road, open Tuesdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; and Greater Holy Temple, 6702 N. Dort Highway, open Thursdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
This schedule is subject to change, and information about additional food distribution dates will be announced as they are scheduled. For more information or to find out about any changes in the schedule, visit the Food Bank website at www.FBEM.org and find the updated schedule on the Mobile Pantry Distribution page, or call 810-239-4441.
# # #