Michigan Brain Injury (BI) Waiver
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) is seeking approval from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for a §1115 Demonstration Waiver to provide necessary services and supports to persons suffering qualifying brain injuries who, but for the provision of these services, would otherwise be served in an institutional setting. The proposed Brain Injury Waiver (BIW) will provide critical brain injury-specific rehabilitation and support in the post-acute injury period with the goal of assisting the participant in becoming capable of living in the most independent setting.
You may request a hard copy of the proposed §1115 waiver application and waiver summary by contacting MDHHS at the address below. You may submit questions or comments regarding the proposed waiver to the address below or by email at MSAPolicy@michigan.gov. All comments on this topic should include a “Section 1115 – Brain Injury Waiver” reference somewhere in the written submission or the subject line if by email. Comments are due by August 26, 2016.
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
Medical Services Administration
Medicaid Policy Section
P.O. Box 30479
Lansing, MI 48909-7979
Two public hearings will be held at the dates, times and locations below.
- August 10, 2016, 10:00-11:30 a.m. Webinar
- August 17, 2016, 1:00-2:30 p.m.
Capitol Commons Center
400 South Pine Street, Lower Level
Conference Rooms E and F
Lansing, Michigan 48909
STAKEHOLDER INVOLVEMENT: The initial TBI stakeholder meeting was held on Wednesday, July 30, 2014, from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm. in the Capitol Commons Center Lower Level, Conference Rooms E and F located at 400 S. Pine St, Lansing, MI 48933. The agenda for the first meeting included:
- An overview of the application process
- A discussion of the stakeholder input process
- A look at the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services changes to Home and Community Based Services regulations
- A look at the Conflict-Free Level of Care Determination Process
- A presentation of some potential issues that have been identified by MDCH Staff
- Meeting Power Point Presentation & Minutes
Additionally, discussion topics for subsequent stakeholder meetings will be decided. Future TBI Waiver stakeholder meetings are set as follows:
- Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm Capitol Commons Center, Conf. Rms. E and F
- Monday, September 29, 2014 9:30 am – 11:30 am Capitol Commons Center, Conf. Rms. E and F
- Monday, November 3, 2014 10:00 am – 12:00 pm Capitol Commons Center, Conf. Rms. E and F
- Monday, December 8, 2014 10:00 am – 12:00 pm Capitol Commons Center, Conf. Rms. E and F
Meeting Minutes Presentation BI Concept Paper
- Thursday, January 8, 2015 10:00 am – 12:00 pm Capitol Commons Center, Conf. Rms. E and F
Meeting Minutes BI Concept Paper
- Monday, March 30, 2015 10:00 am – 12:00 pm Capitol Commons Center, Conf. Rms. E and F
A call in number is available: 1-877-336-1829, access code: 5192186#
Meeting Minutes Section 1115 Demonstration Handout New TBI Program Direction Handout
- April 27, 2015 - this meeting has been cancelled.
For questions about the stakeholder meeting or for more information about the waiver e-mail:MSA-TBIWaiver@michigan.gov.