You will be asked to verify much of the information that you have told us about on your application. To verify something means to prove it. Most verifications must be "current", this means the proof must be dated within the last 30 days. Sometimes, we need to contact a third party such as your landlord or employer directly in order to verify your situation. Your signature on your application for assistance gives us permission to do this.

Your specialist will tell you if a document/proof is needed, provide time (generally 10 days) to get the proof, and if necessary, help you to obtain the required proof. Sometimes it may be difficult or impossible for you to provide a certain document/proof. You should bring such problems to the attention of your specialist so that other options can be explored.

Not every item is required for each of the programs and the lists do not contain all of the documents/proofs you may need to provide. Pick out the documents you do have from the program lists below and bring them with you to the interview (some programs do not require an interview):

NOTE: You are encouraged to apply even if you do not have a listed document.

Proof Specific to the Child Development and Care (CDC) Program (Day Care)

  • Identification
  • Social Security Number (not mandatory)
  • Citizenship/Alien status, if you are not a U.S. citizen, for each child needing care
  • Child care provider's name, address, phone number, provider ID# or license #
  • Proof of need for child care for each parent/substitute parent (e.g., employment, high school completion, Michigan Works! TM Agency-approved activity, family preservation)
  • Proof of need for child care for children over age 12 (court order or physician's statement)
  • Income (e.g., pay stubs, SSI, check stubs or award letters, etc.)
  • Child Support payments received (court order, name and address of child's absent parent)

Proof Specific to the Family Independence Program (FIP), Food Assistance Program (FAP), Medicaid (MA) Services and State Emergency Relief (SER) Programs

  • Identification
  • Social Security numbers for everyone in the household who is applying 
  • Income (current or date it stopped)
  • Application or receipt of unemployment compensation benefits (UCB)
  • Assets (e.g., bank account statements, 401k and other investment account balances, investment accounts, trust funds etc.)
  • Shelter expenses (e.g., rent receipt, mortgage payment, property tax bill, home owner insurance, heat, electric, phone, water etc.)
  • Child support paid
  • Day care expenses
  • Medical or health insurance card
  • Medical bills, unpaid
  • Shut-off notices for shelter, heat or utilities
  • Alien/Immigration status
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce Decree
  • Paternity Acknowledgement
  • Pregnancy, expected date of delivery and number of children expected