The work of the Cardiovascular Health, Nutrition and Physical Activity Section is focused on preventing and reducing heart disease, stroke and obesity for all Michigan residents.
As a section, we share a common Vision of preventing and reducing heart disease, stroke and obesity for all Michigan residents.
Our Mission is to create a heart-healthy and stroke-free Michigan by increasing physical activity and healthy eating, reducing health disparities, and preventing and controlling cardiovascular disease risk factors, and that is at the center of everything we do.
We believe our Vision and Mission will be met through integrated efforts on education, policy and environmental change that are focused on accomplishing the following Goals:
- Decrease disparities and address health inequities that reinforce and support the section’s vision;
- Facilitate the identification of undiagnosed high blood pressure;
- Prevent and control high blood pressure and high blood cholesterol among Michigan adults;
- Increase awareness of stroke signs and symptoms and improve the quality of care for stroke patients throughout the continuum of care;
- Increase the percent of Michigan adults and youth who consume foods and beverages consistent with the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, with an emphasis on fruits and vegetables;
- Increase the number of Michigan residents who have access to healthier foods, including fruits and vegetables;
- Increase the percent of Michigan adults and youth who meet current federal guidelines for physical activity;
- Increase the number of Michigan residents who have access to opportunities for physical activity;
- Increase the number of Michigan infants who are breastfed and fed human milk in accordance with American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations;
- Adopt policies and increase environmental and systems change with state, regional and local partners;
- Increase integration between the Cardiovascular Health, Nutrition and Physical Activity Section and other State of Michigan program areas;
- Develop and manage strategic partnerships to improve cardiovascular health outcomes of Michigan’s priority populations; and
- Increase the number of worksites implementing policy and/or environmental changes that support healthy eating and physical activity and prevent, as well as reduce, poor health outcomes related to chronic disease (i.e., Healthy Food Service Guidelines, healthy eating/vending, walking clubs, trail maps, signage, increased physical activity, etc.).
How to Contact Us
Cardiovascular Health, Nutrition and Physical Activity Section
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
P.O. Box 30195
Lansing, MI 48909
Please Note: Although we make every effort to ensure that our website is compliant with current Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards, some of the links on this page may lead to outside websites that are not ADA-compliant.