Urgent Requests

If you have an urgent request for a vital record, we advise Internet customers to use the convenience of requesting copies of vital records through online ordering with a debit or credit card. To use this service, click on 'Order A Record Online' from the left-hand menu bar. You will be directed to VitalChek, which is Michigan Vital Records ONLY authorized online service provider.

If you should experience problems with the online ordering, please call VitalChek at 1-800-669-8312 for assistance. This toll free number will be answered from 7:00 am - 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except for recognized State of Michigan holidays.

If you do not have a debit or credit card and have an urgent request for a Michigan vital record, you can receive expedited processing service with a mail-in request for an additional fee of $12.00. The rush fee speeds up the processing time in Vital Records; however, it does not speed up the mail time to get your request to our office or mail time back to you. Please note that expedited service is now available for some changes and corrections to records with a processing time of 2-3 weeks. Normal processing time for a change is 5-6 weeks.

To make a request by mail, click on "Order A Record by Mail" from the left-hand menu bar. Select the application you need and indicate in the payment information that you are requesting an expedited search for the $12.00 additional. When ordering a restricted Michigan birth record or Affidavit of Parentage record, please note that a current, valid photo identification is required.

There are alternatives that can be used to meet the photo ID requirements if a current, valid driver's license or state ID is not available. The applicant will need to provide at least three pieces of dated documentation from different sources that will verify his/her name and date of birth, and one must be dated within the last year. Examples:

* marriage or divorce certificate
* child's birth record
* W-2
* paycheck stub
* voter or car registration
* Bridge card
* health insurance card
* utility bill
* doctor/hospital/dentist bill
* baptismal certificate
* military discharge paper
* school records
* letter from a government agency such as SSA or IRS
* Social Security benefit statement
* land or rental agreement
* bank statement
* State or Federal prison photo ID with release or discharge paper (dated within one year)
* For persons age 15-20, current student photo ID with either report card or transcript

We cannot accept a Social Security card or junk mail. At least one of the alternative documents must be dated within the last year.

If you have additional questions or need assistance, please call our Eligibility Unit at 517-335-8666 and press option #4 to speak to a customer service representative. This number will be answered between 8 am & 5 pm ET Monday - Friday (except for recognized State of Michigan holidays).