Family riding bikes together, Population Health

Community Health Innovation Regions

  • Only 20 percent of the factors that influence a person's health are related to access and quality of care. The other 80 percent are due to socioeconomic, environmental, and behavioral factors. Community Health Innovation Regions (CHIR) work to address these nonmedical factors that Michigan residents face.   

    CHIRs are a unique model for improving the wellbeing of a region and reducing unnecessary medical costs through collaboration and systems change. CHIRs engage a broad group of stakeholders to identify and address factors that affect residents’ health, such as housing, transportation, and food insecurity, as well as access to high-quality medical care. The CHIR model creates a neutral space for partners to unite around a common vision, aligning their objectives and services to meet the needs of the community. The result is a community that is purposeful in its response to residents’ needs, creating conditions that meaningfully support an individual’s ability to have a higher, more productive quality of life.

    CHIR partners are organized by a neutral backbone organization that facilitates the development and implementation of key strategies, creating the necessary capacity to sustain progress on stated objectives. CHIR steering committees provide a clear leadership structure and promote shared accountability among partners for aligning their resources to address priority community health needs. It takes a comprehensive group of committed organizations to meet the needs of a community. No one entity can do this alone.


  • The State has selected five regions in which to test the CHIR model. Each of the five regions is supported by a backbone organization that serves as a fiduciary and acts as a neutral convener for the CHIR’s governing body. Contact information for each CHIR backbone organization is included below:

     Region  Backbone Organization  Contact
     Genesee  Greater Flint Health Coalition  810-232-2228
     Jackson  Jackson Health Improvement Organization  517-205-7507
     Livingston / Washtenaw  Center for Health and Research Transformation  734-998-7555
     Muskegon  Muskegon Community Health Project  231-672-3201
     Northern  Northern Michigan Public Health Alliance  231-838-0358

     

    CHIR Foundational Pieces


Resources
Calendar