MDHHS continues Flint mobile food pantries during July Department and Food Bank to take extra precautions due to COVID-19
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 30, 2020
CONTACT: Bob Wheaton, 517-241-2112, firstname.lastname@example.org
LANSING, Mich. – The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) will continue to provide nutritious food by the truckload to Flint residents throughout July.
MDHHS has provided the Flint mobile food pantries since February 2016 in partnership with the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan in Flint.
Since the outbreak of COVID-19 in Michigan, food pantry distributors are taking extra precautions to keep customers and volunteers protected. Each site is requiring volunteers to wear gloves and masks, clean their hands with hand sanitizer often, and take steps to sanitize distribution buildings throughout the day. Customers do not have to step out of their vehicle to receive food – volunteers are asking the customer to simply open their trunk and they will load up the vehicle with food to reduce contact.
This month’s mobile food pantry distribution will have plenty of delicious, vitamin-rich produce and dairy that are boxed, including apples, onions, potatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce, asparagus, cabbage or celery, sour cream, French onion dip, white milk, chocolate milks, strawberry milk, cottage cheese and cream cheese. Ground turkey also is available.
July dates for distributions are:
- Luke’s NEW Life Center, 3115 Lawndale Ave.
- Wednesday, July 1, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, July 10, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, July 17, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, July 24, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, July 31, at 10 a.m.
- Greater Holy Temple, 6702 N. Dort Hwy.
- Thursday, July 2, at 10 am.
- Thursday, July 9, at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, July 16, at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, July 23, at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, July 30, at 10 a.m.
- Bethel United Methodist Church, 1309 Ballenger Hwy.
- Monday, July 6, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, July 13, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, July 20, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, July 27, at 10 a.m.
- Asbury United Methodist Church, 1653 Davison Road.
- Tuesday, July 7, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, July 14, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, July 21, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, July 28, at 10 a.m.
Flint residents can also pick up free nutritional food at the three Flint Help Center locations:
Bethel United Methodist Church, 1309 N. Ballenger Highway, open from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Mondays; Asbury United Methodist Church, 1653 Davison Road, open Tuesdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; and Greater Holy Temple, 6702 N. Dort Highway, open Thursdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Information about additional food distributions will be announced as they are scheduled. To check food distribution schedules, visit the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan website at FBEM.org and find the updated schedule on the Mobile Pantry Distribution page, or call 810-239-4441.
# # #