UPDATED: MDHHS continues Flint mobile food pantries during May; Department and Food Bank to take extra precautions due to COVID-19
Please Note: This release is being updated to include additional dates scheduled at End Times.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 28, 2021
CONTACT: Bob Wheaton, 517-241-2112
LANSING, Mich. - The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) will continue to provide nutritious food by the truckload to Flint residents throughout May.
MDHHS has provided the Flint mobile food pantries since February 2016 in partnership with the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan in Flint.
Since the outbreak of COVID-19 in Michigan, food pantry distributors are taking extra precautions to keep customers and volunteers protected. Each site is requiring volunteers to wear gloves and masks, clean their hands with hand sanitizer often, and take steps to sanitize distribution buildings throughout the day. Customers do not have to step out of their vehicle to receive food - volunteers are asking the customer to simply open their trunk and they will load up the vehicle with food to reduce contact.
This month's mobile food pantry distribution will have plenty of delicious, vitamin-rich produce and proteins, including ground turkey, cheese and potatoes.
May dates for distributions are:
- Bethel United Methodist Church, 1309 Ballenger Hwy.
- Monday, May 3, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, May 10, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, May 17, at 10 a.m.
- Monday, May 24, at 10 a.m.
- End Times, 4002 S. Dort Hwy.
- Monday, May 3, at 11 a.m.
- Monday, May 10, at 11 a.m.
- Monday, May 17, at 11 a.m.
- Monday, May 24, at 11 a.m.
- Asbury United Methodist Church, 1653 Davison Road.
- Tuesday, May 4, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, May 11, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, May 18, at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday, May 25, at 10 a.m.
- Greater Holy Temple, 6702 N. Dort Hwy.
- Thursday, May 6, at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, May 13, at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, May 20, at 10 a.m.
- Thursday, May 27, at 10 a.m.
- Luke's NEW Life Center, 3115 Lawndale Ave.
- Friday, May 7, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, May 14, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, May 21, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, May 28, at 10 a.m.
- American Muslim Community Services, 4800 S. Saginaw St.
- Saturday, May 8, at 9 a.m.
Flint residents can also pick up free nutritional food at the three Flint Help Center locations:
Bethel United Methodist Church, 1309 N. Ballenger Highway, open from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Mondays; Asbury United Methodist Church, 1653 Davison Road, open Tuesdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; and Greater Holy Temple, 6702 N. Dort Highway, open Thursdays from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Information about additional food distributions will be announced as they are scheduled. To check food distribution schedules, visit the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan website at FBEM.org and find the updated schedule on the Mobile Pantry Distribution page, or call 810-239-4441.
# # #