Yellow Fever and Travel Vaccine Resources

Yellow Fever Vaccine Shortage

The Michigan Department for Health and Human Services Division of Immunization is not approving additional yellow fever vaccine providers at this time, due to the national shortage of YF-VAX®. Adequate vaccine supply is expected to return in mid-2018 and at that time the MDHHS Division of Immunization will begin receiving applications. During the yellow fever vaccine shortage, the CDC Traveler’s Health website is the best location to identify clinics in your city/county that provide YF-VAX® (while vaccine supply remains) and Stamaril.

If you have any questions, please contact the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Division of Immunization at 517-335-8159.

Yellow Fever Vaccine

Many countries require specific travel immunizations for visitors. International Health Regulations require that yellow fever vaccine be administered only at designated Yellow Fever Vaccination Centers. In the United States, the responsibility for designating Yellow Fever Vaccination Centers has been delegated to State Health Departments. In Michigan, health care providers who wish to purchase and administer yellow fever vaccine must complete the Yellow Fever Provider Application (DCH-1292) and be approved by the Michigan Department Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Division of Immunization. Sanofi pasteur will not allow the purchase of yellow fever vaccine by health care providers unless they are approved Uniform Stamp holders.

Yellow fever vaccine produced by sanofi pasteur is obtained directly from sanofi pasteur, the sole distributor in the United States. For information, prices, and ordering procedures, contact sanofi pasteur. Providers are not able to order yellow fever vaccine unless they have been authorized by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

sanofi pasteur
Route 611, P.O. Box 187
Swiftwater, PA 18370

Michigan Program Requirements

Yellow Fever Provider Application (DCH-1292) 

A physician, physician's assistant or nurse practitioner (with prescription-writing privileges) can legally administer the Yellow Fever vaccine after a physician completes the Yellow Fever Provider Application. The Yellow Fever Center registration will be processed once the application and approved by the Michigan Department for Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Division of Immunization. 

Please mail the completed form to:

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
Division of Immunization
333 S. Grand Avenue
PO Box 30195
Lansing  MI  48933

The application must be completed in full, and then mailed to the above address. Any applications with missing or incomplete information will be returned to the applicant. Applicants are also required to attach a narrative description of the supervising physician's experience in providing travel immunizations and their reason(s) for applying to be a yellow fever vaccine provider.

Once you have received your Uniform Stamp and returned the completed stamp receipt to MDHHS Division of Immunization, you will automatically become a designated Yellow Fever Vaccination Center in Michigan and you will be eligible to purchase and administer yellow fever vaccine. You will be required to report all yellow fever vaccine doses administered into the Michigan Care Improvement Registry (MCIR).

Adverse Event Reporting 

Adverse events reported to providers after vaccination should be submitted to the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS) according to state guidelines. Private providers should report all adverse events directly to VAERS, and also notify MDHHS.

For more information and reporting forms, please contact VAERS at (800) 822-7967 or visit the VAERS website.

Travel Health News and Resources

International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis

International Certificates of Vaccination (ICVP): When travel related vaccinations (particularly Yellow Fever vaccine) are required, the administered vaccines must be recorded on the International Certificates of Vaccination as Approved by the World Health Organization. This booklet should be kept with your passport at all times. 

If your doctor or public health office does not have this booklet, it can be purchased from the U.S. Government Bookstore website.