Fall 2019 Immunization ConferencesAgency: Community Health
Dates and Locations of the 2019 Conferences
October 8 - Marquette
October 10 - Grayling
October 29 - Grand Rapids
October 30 - Kalamazoo
November 1 - Flint
November 5 - Lansing
November 7 - Rochester
November 8 - Dearborn
Michigan's Annual Immunization Conferences
The MDHHS Fall Regional Immunization Conferences offer an excellent opportunity for health care professionals to get up-to-date information on vaccines. These conferences have been offered annually for more than 20 years, and consistently receive high ratings from attendees. Their primary goal is to update providers on immunization issues that affect people of all ages.
The conferences are appropriate for nurses, nurse practitioners, medical assistants, public health staff, pharmacists, physicians, physician assistants, medical and nursing students, and anyone interested in learning more about current immunization practice in Michigan.
While the conferences are intended for all immunizing providers representing diverse health care settings, physicians’ offices, in particular, may benefit from this immunization update and networking opportunity. However, everyone is welcome to attend this conference, and health care professionals from a variety of settings will find this training opportunity beneficial.
Please continue to check the website for updated information. Registration will open September 4, 2019. Please use this link to register for conferences: https://register.mihealth.org/Register2019.
- Michigan, the U.S., and the World - Of Pools, Pockets, and Canaries: Measles Resurging in 2019 (Joel Blostein)
- CDC Pediatric and Adolescent Update (Dr. Candice Robinson)
- CDC Adult Update (Dr. Candice Robinson)
- Michigan Immunization Update (Bob Swanson)
- Why Meningococcal Vaccines are Important for Adolescents, Part 1 (Jamie Schanbaum)
- Why Meningococcal Vaccines are Important for Adolescents, Part 2 (Heidi Loynes)
- Packing Prevention - The 411 on Travel Vaccines (Amy Shears)
Continuing Education and Disclosure Information
- Nurses: This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the Ohio Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialiing Center's Commission on Accreditation, for 5.5 contact hours.
- Physicians: The Michigan State Medical Society designates this live activity for a maximum of 5.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Pharmacists: This activity is structured to meet knowledge-based educational needs. A knowledge-based activity acquires factual knowledge. Information in knowledge-based activities is based on evidence as accepted in the literature by the health care professions. Pharmacy continuing education (PCE) credit (5.0 contact hours) will be earned based on participation in this activity.
- Certified Medical Assistants: Participants who sign in prior to the conference, attend the entire activity, and complete an online evaluation form will earn 5.5 contact hours.
- Two of the speakers have financial relationships with commercial interests and the MDHHS Division of Immunization has reviewed her presentation and no conflicts of interest exist. No planners involved in this activity has any relevant conflict of interests.
- The speakers will not discuss a vaccine not currently licensed by the FDA.
- The Vaccine Update speaker and the Troubleshooting Panel moderator and speakers may discuss off-label uses of some vaccines.
- There is no conflict of interest among anyone with the ability to control content of this activity, except for two speakers (Jamie and Patsy Schanbaum) who are on speaker's bureau for Porter Novelli firm for GSK. The Immunization Nurse Educator will discuss conflicts of interests with Jamie Schanbaum and Patsy Schanbaum and review their presentations prior to the conferences to ensure there are no biases or conflicts of interest.
Contact the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) Division of Immunization at 517-335-8159.
2019 Fall Conference Flyer