Hereditary Cancer Toolkit
*** Do you have questions about hereditary cancer? ***
Call our HOTLINE at 866-852-1247, 9am-4pm Monday thru Friday.
Below are no-cost resources for clinical use and professional development in cancer genomics:
- Guide to Hereditary Cancer Indications for Referral - online interactive tool
- 4 Steps to Making Appropriate Referrals for Cancer Genetic Risk Assessment and Counseling
- Cancer-Specific Risk Factors for Referral for Hereditary Cancer Risk Assessment and Counseling
- NIH Breast Cancer Risk Assessment Tool
- USPSTF Recommendations for BRCA-Related Cancer
- EGAPP Guidelines for colorectal cancer patients
- NCCN Guidelines for HBOC
- NCCN Guidelines for Lynch syndrome
Genetic Counseling, Testing and Referral
- Video: Genetic Testing for Inherited Risk for Cancer - An overview of understanding inherited risk for cancer and why genetic testing could help in determining if someone might be at risk
- Directory of Cancer Genetics Clinics in Michigan
- NSGC Tool: Find a Genetic Counselor
- Genetic Counseling and Testing Guidelines - a summary of national recommendations related to clinical practice in cancer genomics
- Position Paper on Genetic Counseling and Testing from MCGA
Health Plan Policy
- Information for Insurers and Health Plan Administrators - a guide for navigating cancer genomics policies
Cancer Genomics Education
- Video: Genetics 101 - an introduction to cancer genomics, hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (HBOC) and Lynch syndrome
- Video: Genetic Testing Guidelines and Resources - a recorded workshop for health care professionals
- Free CME/CNE Module - "Hereditary Cancer Syndromes: Are Your Patients at Risk?"
HBOC and Lynch Syndrome
- CDC's Bring your Brave: Provider Education
- HBOC Gene Reviews
- Lynch Syndrome Gene Reviews
- Lynch Syndrome Screening Network (LSSN)
- Informed Consent for Genetic Testing: Patient Education and Consent Form
- Informed Consent Video: What Do I Need to Know Before Genetic Testing?
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA) of 2008
- FORCE/NSGC Resource on GINA
- Cascade Genetic Screening and Public Health Practice Youtube video
- Talking about BRCA in your Family Tree: A Patient Resource
- Cascade Genetic Screening: Improving Hereditary Cancer Risk Reduction
- Talking to Family About Lynch Syndrome Brochure
Patient Resources- For patient resources, please see our webpages for patients!
- For Patients
- Lynch syndrome
- Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Navigation Program
- WISEWOMAN Program
State and National Resources
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Michigan Genetics Resource Center
- Michigan Cancer Genomics Epidemiology
If you have questions, call the MDHHS Hereditary Cancer Hotline at 1-866-852-1247 or email email@example.com. For cancer genetic counseling and testing services in your area, visit the Directory of Clinical Cancer Genetic Services in Michigan.
Funding for this program was made possible (in part) by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The views expressed in written materials, publications, or webpages do not necessarily reflect the official policies of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, nor does the mention of trade names, commercial practices, or organizations imply endorsement by the U.S. Government.
Last updated: 12/21/2021