Who can cardholders contact if they have questions about their card?

For questions regarding support payments, such as the most recent support amounts deposited, the cardholder can go to MiChildSupport, which allows access to child support case information online. The cardholder can also contact the Friend of the Court’s 24-hour case information access line. For all other questions about the card, Way2Go Cardholder Services is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year, toll-free at 1-844-649-9843.