What happens if a cardholder no longer receives payments from the MiSDU or has switched to direct deposit and now has support deposited into a personal bank account?

The cardholder can continue to use his/her card until any remaining balance has been used. The Way2Go Card is not automatically closed when the cardholder’s child support case closes. Cardholders must contact the MiSDU customer service department for information on closing their Way2Go Card.