The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Market Master Information
A Market Master is a farm entity that sells Michigan-grown produce to participants of the Senior Project Fresh/Market Fresh program (SPF/MF). Market Masters may operate as an individual farm that participates in the SPF/MF program, or they may register as a representative of other Michigan farmers who participate in the program. Farmers who are represented by a market master are vendors of that market master. Farmers who register as having a roadside stand represent only themselves.
To participate in SPF/MF as a market master, vendor, or roadside stand, the farm entity must:
- Register with Michigan’s accounting and financial management system (SIGMA)
- Register with Michigan’s Senior Project Fresh/Market Fresh program (SPF/MF)
- Display the SPF/MF Sign that reads “Senior Project Fresh/Market Fresh Coupons Welcome Here”. The sign is included in the SPF/MF packet.
- Market masters new to the SPF/MF program are required by the state and the US Department of Agriculture to participate in one SPF/MF educational conference call during the SPF/MF season (May 1 through October 31). The conference call is presented by the MDHHS Behavioral and Physical Health and Aging Services Administration.
Market Masters who represent other farmers as vendors must:
- Complete a farmer-market agreement between themselves and each of their vendors.
- Educate the farm vendors they represent on the policies, guidelines, and rules of SPF/MF.
- Assign each of their farm vendors a unique identifier (number), which may be the same as a WIC, and submit the vendor’s name, unique identifier, and contact information to the MDHHS Behavioral and Physical Health and Aging Services Administration.
Registration with SIGMA and SPF/MF is not automatically renewed each year. Market masters who represent vendors, market masters who represent themselves, and farmers who operate a roadside stand must register annually for the current SPF/MF program year. Any updates about the farm entity from the previous year’s participation information is documented during the annual registration process.
Once a farm entity is registered, they are eligible to sell produce to SPF/MF participants during the program season, May 1 to October 31. The farmer is required to collect SPF/MF coupons which act as cash and redeemed from SPF/MF participants. Market masters, vendors, and farmers with roadside stands are required to ensure that the information on the SPF/MF coupon is correct. On a monthly basis, the market master and roadside stand must submit the coupons (between 25 and 250 per batch) to MDHHS for reimbursement. Vendors who are represented by a market master submit their coupons to their market master. To receive reimbursement, all redeemed coupons must be sent to MDHHS Behavioral and Physical Health and Aging Services Administration, Aging and Community Services Division, and be postmarked no later than November 15, 2022.
Downloadable Market Master Materials
- Market Master Responsibilities
- Market Master-Farmer Agreement
- Market Master Guidebook
- Instructions for Submitting Coupons
- Eligibility List
- Participant Rights and Responsibilities
- ‘Senior Project FRESH/Market FRESH Welcome Here’ sign