The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Enhanced Treatment Foster Care (ETFC)
Enhanced Treatment Foster Care (ETFC) is a pilot in Berrien, Cass, Calhoun, Kalamazoo, and St. Joseph Counties.
The ETFC program is family-based service that provides individualized treatment for children in general foster care who present with complex behavioral or emotional needs. ETFC services provide coaching and skill-building to assist families in creating a living environment designed to minimize the occurrence of disruptive behaviors.
Intensive therapeutic services and concentrated skill building are provided while community options for treatment are pursued in partnership with Community Mental Health, the Medicaid Health Plan, or alternate behavioral health provider, and the primary/referring foster care provider (MDHHS or PAFC).
To be eligible for ETFC, the following criteria must be met:
- The child must be in general foster care.
- If the caregiver is receiving a daily foster care payment, the caregiver must be reimbursed at the Determination of Care Level IV foster care payment rate while participating in ETFC.
The child must also meet one or more of the following criteria below:
- The child has recently been discharged from a psychiatric hospital and/or is at risk of psychiatric hospitalization.
- The child recently stepped down from a residential care facility and ETFC services are needed to support the caregiver.
- The child has a history of two or more broken placements due to behaviors and/or emotional issues and is at current risk of a placement break.
- The child has a mental or Intellectual/Developmental Disability diagnosis with significant functional impairment.
- The child demonstrates aggressive and/or disruptive behaviors that require frequent behavioral intervention at home or school.
NOTE: Children serviced by ETFC services may be of any age, 0-18; however, the focus of the program will be between ages 6-15.
If you have questions or concerns regarding ETFC, please contact Erica Barrett at BarrettE1@michigan.gov.