The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Formula Recall Information for WIC Participants
If you are a health care provider, please click here.
Consumers should not use certain powder formulas produced by Abbott, including Similac, Alimentum, EleCare and PM 60/40. See FDA website for the full recall notice.
The recall is due to a germ found at an Abbott facility that can cause infection in infants.
What do I do?
1. Find out if your formula is included in the recall by checking the code on the bottom of the can.
The product has been recalled if:
- The first two digits of the code are 22 through 37, AND
- The code on the container contains K8, SH, or Z2, AND
- The expiration date is April 1, 2022, or later.
You can also use Similacrecall.com to find out if your formula has been recalled.
2. If your formula is included in the recall, the fastest way to receive your refund or replacement is to return your recalled formula, including open cans, to the store.*
- Each store has a process in place for returning recalled products, such as an exchange, a store credit or a refund.
- WIC clients have the same rights as all other customers. Stores must follow the same recall process for WIC clients as the general public.
- It is not necessary to identify the formula as a WIC purchase.
- Some stores may not accept formula that was purchased elsewhere or may ask for a receipt. You may want to call ahead and ask about return processes of stores in your area before you go. If you have trouble with your return, please call 1-800-942-1636, choose option 2 and ask to speak with vendor staff for help.
*Note: If you are unable to visit a store to return your formula, you can request a refund at Similacrecall.com. This will require you to return the formula at no cost, and the refund may take several weeks.
WIC will now allow you to buy other brands of powder formula with your WIC benefits if your formula is listed below. There is no need to have your food package changed.
1.Click the image below to find the Similac powder formula listed in your WIC benefit balance.
2. Use your WIC EBT Card to buy any of the powder formulas shown as choices for that formula.
3. Depending on the size you purchase, one or two cans of Similac formula will be removed from your benefit balance. Click the 'Temporary Choices for Powder Formula' image at the top of this page for more details.
Liquid concentrate and ready-to-feed formulas were not affected by this recall, but may be difficult to find in a store. If you have a food package for liquid concentrate or ready-to-feed, and wish to change your food package to powder, contact your WIC clinic.
Some Similac formulas were partially or not affected by the recall and you may continue to see these available on the store shelves.
The following powdered formulas are partially affected:
- 12.5 oz Similac Sensitive powder
- 12.4 oz Similac Advance powder
- 14.1 oz Similac PM 60/40 powder (only can lot #27032K80)
The following formulas are not affected:
- All concentrated liquids and ready-to-feed
For not affected formulas, ask store staff for help if you can't find your formula on the shelf. If the store tells you that it is not available, contact your WIC clinic.
1. Your health care provider can help find a similar formula that meets your child's needs. Ask them to look at the List of Authorized WIC Formulas and send a new WIC Special Formula and Food Request to your WIC clinic. The List of Authorized WIC Formulas now includes hypoallergenic store brand formula options.
2. WIC staff will then add your new formula to your benefits and help you find it.
If your child has used a recalled formula and has symptoms such as poor feeding, irritability, temperature changes, jaundice, grunting breaths, abnormal movements, lethargy, rash, or blood in the urine or stool; call your child's health care provider to report their symptoms and seek medical care right away.