Right-of-Way Construction Permits
This unit has the regulatory authority for managing the use of the state highway right of way and adjacent boundaries as stipulated in Act 200 of 1969 (Driveway, Banner and Parade Act), Administrative Rules regulating Driveways, Banners and Parades, Act 368 of 1925 (Encroachment Act), and Act 106 of 1972 (Highway Advertising Act). This unit regulates private and public entity's use of the state highway right of way by acting as the primary liaison between MDOT and other state government agencies, the Federal Highway Administration, utility companies and permit applicants.
Permits and information for the following operations can be obtained by contacting the appropriate MDOT Transportation Service Center.
- Vegetation and Drainage Control
- Rest Areas
- Billboard Vegetation Removal/Trimming
All construction permit applications are submitted and purchased through the MDOT Permit Gateway online service.
- Instructions for Government Agencies, Schools and Colleges
- Instructions for Delegating a Business or Individual
- Instructions for Registering a Business
- Instructions for CPS Individual Applicants
- CPS Application Guide
For technical problems related to MDOT Permit Gateway (MPG), email MDOT-MPG@michigan.gov or call 844-806-0002.
For technical problems related to CPS, contact MDOT-CPS-Questions@michigan.gov.
- Construction Permit Forms
- Are You Building on a State Highway?
- Work Zone Safety and Mobility Policy for Construction and Utility Permits
- MDOT Maintenance Work Zone Traffic Control Guidelines 2007
- Maintaining Traffic Typicals for Freeways
- Maintaining traffic Typicals for Non-Freeways
- Public Act 200 (Admin Rules Regulating Driveways, Banners and Parades)
Insurance and Bonds
Joe Rios, Statewide Construction Permit Coordinator