Right-of-Way Construction Permits

This unit has the regulatory authority for managing the use of the State highway Right-of-Way and adjacent boundaries as stipulated in Act 200 of 1969 (Driveway, Banner and Parade Act), Administrative Rules regulating Driveways, Banners and Parades, Act 368 of 1925 (Encroachment Act), and Act 106 of 1972 (Highway Advertising Act). This unit regulates private and public entity's use of the State highway Right-of-Way by acting as the primary liaison between MDOT and other state governmental agencies, the Federal Highway Administration, utility companies, and permit applicants.

Permits and information for the following operations can be obtained by contacting the appropriate Transportation Service Center by using the Utility and Permit TSC Contact Guide.

Frequently Asked Questions

All construction permit applications are submitted and purchased through the MDOT Permit Gateway online service.

For technical problems related to MDOT Permit Gateway (MPG), please email us at MDOT-MPG@michigan.gov or call 844-806-0002.

For technical problems related to CPS, contact MDOT-CPS-Questions@michigan.gov.

Online Resources

Insurance and Bonds

Filing Bond and Insurance Electronically

For more information regarding the Right-of-Way Construction Permit Program, contact:

Joe Rios, Statewide Construction Permit Coordinator