Birdhouses (On Interstate and Freeway Fence Posts)
Individuals or groups occasionally make requests to the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) to place birdhouses within the Free Access or Limited Access Right-of-Way to provide a sanctuary for birds. A recreational permit application is required through MDOT’s Construction Permit process. A fee is not required.
Applicants must submit an individual permit application package through the Construction Permit System (CPS) including the following:
- Specific geographic location
- A sketch showing type of birdhouses, how many and where the birdhouses shall be mounted
The specific location and design shall meet the following requirements:
- Birdhouses shall be self-supporting and placed outside the Right-of-Way fence or may be placed on MDOT’s Right-of-Way fence post;
- The birdhouse owner must approach the State highway Right-of-Way fence from the adjacent property owner’s side; and
- The permit number shall be placed on the birdhouse for identification purposes.
For more information on the construction permit process, visit MDOT Right-of-Way Construction Permits.