MDOT seeks public input on new state long-range transportation planContact: Kyle Haller, MDOT Transportation Planner, 517-335-4609Agency: Transportation
- MDOT's state long-range transportation plan will establish a vision and priorities for transportation in Michigan for 25 years.
- The public will have an opportunity to comment and provide ideas for making the plan better.
January 2, 2019 -- The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is developing a new state long-range transportation plan (SLRTP), known as Michigan Mobility 2045 (MM 2045), that will establish a vision and priorities for transportation in Michigan for 25 years.
The plan outlines numerous ways MDOT will provide the public with information, explains ways to ask questions about the plan, and provides ideas for making the plan better.
Top methods for gathering public input on MM 2045 include:
- The use of Metroquest, an innovative technology to extend outreach to a larger and more diverse group of Michigan residents during the MM 2045 development phase, which extends from January to April.
- Scenario planning via Metroquest that will present transportation situations to the public in a realistic context to help determine a long-term vision for transportation in Michigan. Visit https://michiganmobility2045.metroquest.com/ to take the survey and offer input.
- Telephone town halls that will allow MDOT to randomly dial as many as 10,000 landline phones per town hall and offer the public an opportunity to join a conference call, ask questions, and express opinions about transportation in Michigan and MM 2045. MDOT will announce the schedule for these events.
- An attitudes and perceptions survey that will help gauge public perceptions to ensure the needs and priorities of a representative sample of Michigan residents are considered.
- Visioning sessions with key stakeholders that will provide a collaborative context for informing engagement methods, establishing transportation priorities, and determining best methods for outreach to marginalized communities.
MDOT is seeking the opinions of the public, including a large and diverse group of Michigan residents and stakeholders representing groups with an interest or concern for the state's transportation decision-making process. This includes best practices for targeting and providing attention to environmental justice populations, marginalized communities and tribal governments.
After gathering adequate public feedback on MM 2045, MDOT will share a final draft of the plan and extend invitations for more targeted public engagement activities. This will occur during the second phase of the plan, which begins in May.
The public will be able to view the plan and provide comments on MM 2045 at www.michiganmobility.org. Public comments also can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, or shared with MDOT's social media sites at www.facebook.com/michigandot or www.twitter.com/michigandot. Comments also can be sent via U.S. mail:
Michigan Mobility 2045
Michigan Department of Transportation
Van Wagoner Transportation Building
425 West Ottawa St.
P.O. Box 30050
Lansing, MI 48909