Rail Safety
What does the Freight Economic Development Program offer?
What is the loan/grant combination?
How does the loan become a grant?
What are a few of the contract commitments?
Is the applicant require to provide collateral?
Who pays for flashing lights, gates, etc. at grade crossings?
Does that also apply when lights and gates have to be moved to accommodate a road widening project?
How do you determine what crossing projects are eligible for funding?
Is money available for lights and gates at a private crossing?
How do I report a railroad crossing signal activation problem?
Who do citizens contact when a crossing surface becomes rough? Who makes the repairs?
What happens to railroad flashing-lights and gates when the commercial and residential power goes out?
Why aren't flashing-light signals and gate arms installed at all public grade crossings?
Who makes the actual decisions of what type of traffic device should be placed at a grade crossing?
Once the decision has been made to install flashing-light signals or gate arms, why is there sometimes a delay in the installation of these devices?
Who actually installs the flashing-light signals or gate arms, the railroad or the government agency in charge of the road? Who is responsible for maintaining these signals?
Why are there not more grade separations instead of at-grade railroad crossings, especially at crossings where the is a high volume of cars and trains, or where a number of accidents have occurred?
I am worried that a nearby railroad track is unsafe. What can I do?
Why do trains sound their whistles in the middle of the night?
How are train speeds through communities determined?
Is there a limit to how long a train can block a roadway?
Why do flashing-light signals or gate arms sometimes activate when no train is in sight? Why do these warning devices occasionally stay on well after the train has passed through the crossing?
Why do trains sometimes stop on railroad crossings, blocking the path of automobiles and other roadway vehicles?
How do I get a permit application to occupy state-owned railroad right-of-way?