Report a Pothole

Potholes are created when snow and ice melt as part of Michigan's seasonal freeze-thaw cycles. Moisture seeps into the pavement, freezes, expands and thaws, creating a gap in the pavement. As vehicles drive over the gap, the pavement weakens leading to a pothole.

Use MDOT's Report a Pothole form or call 888-296-4546 to report potholes on state roads. Most state roads begin with M, I or USdesignations (e.g., I-75, M-28, US-23, etc.). Your report will be forwarded to the appropriate MDOT region staff for action.

To report other potholes, contact your county or local unit of government.

For everyone’s safety, please remember to slow down near pothole crews.


Report potholes on state trunklines by filling out our online form or call 888-296-4546.
MDOT Region Map  Region: 
 Interestate/Route: *  
 Direction of Travel:
 Nearest Exit/Street:
 Message: *

 Note: Reporting a pothole is not equivalent to submitting a claim for damages.      
If you believe your vehicle has been damaged on a state trunkline, see our online
 damage claim procedure and form.


* Spam Block: (What's this?)