I-94 Road and Bridge Reconstruction, Jackson County
Investment: $350 million
This project is broken down into three phases.
Phase 1 (2018 - 2020)
During this first phase, MDOT made the following improvements along I-94:
- Rebuilt 1.4 miles of freeway between Lansing Avenue and Elm Road.
- Resurfaced 3.5 miles between Lansing Avenue and M-60, and 4 miles between Elm Road and Sargent Road.
- Rebuilt the I-94/Cooper Street interchange, built new roundabouts on each side of the new bridge, and rebuilt each of the ramps.
- Replaced the I-94 bridge over the Grand River.
As part of this phase, I-94 was shifted approximately 60 feet south of its current location.
Phase 2 (Spring 2021 - Summer 2023)
- Public Meeting - February 24, 2021
In this phase, MDOT will rebuild portions of I-94 between the Airport Road interchange and the US-127 south interchange. Other improvements include:
- Rebuilding the I-94/US-127/West Avenue interchange to be a diverging diamond interchange.
- Rebuilding the Lansing Avenue bridge over I-94 to be higher and wider than the current bridge to accommodate the widening of I-94.
- Rebuilding the I-94/Elm Avenue interchange to include roundabouts at the eastbound ramp terminal, the westbound ramp terminal, and the Rosehill Road/Elm Avenue/Seymour Road intersection.
- Installing freeway lighting on I-94 from the Airport Road interchange to east of the Elm Road interchange to improve safety for motorists and first responders. This will include lighting on most ramps within the project limits.
Phase 3 (2022 - 2024)
Work in this phase will include:
- Rebuilding approximately 12.5 miles of freeway from the Jackson/Calhoun County line to M-60.
- Reconfiguring the Michigan Avenue interchange with the addition of roundabouts.
- Reconfiguring the Dearing Road interchange with the addition of roundabouts.
- Preventive maintenance on 10 bridges along the I-94 corridor.
More information on this phase: I-94 Jackson Public Meeting Presentation
- During work, two lanes will be open in each direction most of the time on I-94, with short-term single-lane closures possible at off-peak times.
- The Lansing Avenue bridge will be closed and detoured while it is being rebuilt.
- More information on specific traffic impacts will be provided in spring 2021 through a public meeting and this website.
Public Meeting FAQs - March 14, 2019
Feb. 25, 2019 Public Meeting Presentation
Preliminary Layout of Lansing Ave Bridge Replacement
Preliminary Layout of I-94/ Elm Rd Interchange Replacement
I-94 Bridge Demolition Video
Diverging Diamond Interchange Concept Video
Jackson Transportation Service Center, 517-780-7540
Subscribe to the I-94 Corridor in Jackson project email list