- Identify, preserve and enhance Michigan's scenic, historic and recreational resources.
- Promote a greater awareness of and appreciation for those resources.
- Provide an opportunity for growth management within a corridor by encouraging appropriate development.
- Provide an opportunity to manage the traveler/tourist impact on resources.
- Attract visitors, who bring additional revenues, enhancing economic activity in the region.
- Attract new businesses.
- Enhance existing jobs and create new jobs.
- Provide a Vision for the Future, uniting those who share that vision.
- Enhance the local, regional and state image on a national level.
- Identify, promote and preserve community uniqueness, enhancing community appeal.
- Enhance the quality of life in the community.
- Provide an education for future generations by example.
- Opportunity to share ideas, information, research and lessons.
- Provide an effective hands-on teaching tool.
- Establish an education network.