Seismic Explorations in MDOT Right-of-Way

Seismic exploration may be individually permitted by the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) in Free Access Right-of-Way by using the drill method, blast method, or vibroseis method. No other method shall be allowed. Only temporary placement of cable crossings shall be permitted in Limited Access Right-of-Way. Seismic exploration may not be completed using an annual permit. Annual permits shall only be used for transverse cable crossings in Free Access Right-of-Way.

Applicants must submit an individual permit application through the Construction Permit System (CPS) with the following:
  • Individual performance bond in the amount of $50,000; required for each permitted activity
  • Certificate of Insurance
  • Specific method of operation (including the minimum depth of hole)
  • Letter from adjacent property owner with signature providing authorization when operations are proposed in Easement Right-of-Way


For more information on the Construction Permit process, click here

All construction permit applications are submitted and purchased through the MDOT Permit Gateway available thru MiLogin online system.