Guidelines for Harvesting Hay

Harvesting Hay requires permit applicants to comply with Section 15b of P.A. 51 of 1951, which mandates vegetation mowing and control of brush within the state highway Right of Way of all public roads, except those within the limits of a city or village and designated Federal-aid urban boundaries.  In order to obtain a permit, applicants are required to comply with the following guidelines:

  • Harvesting Hay is permitted from July 16 through August 31.
  • 12 inches of grass height must be maintained.
  • The hay shall be for the harvester's personal use; not for the purpose of monetary gain.
  • The permit holder is responsible for securing the permission of any underlying property owner where easement or statutory Right-of-Way is involved.
  • No other type of farming shall be allowed such as plowing and planting of a crop.
  • Sites chosen shall be areas with reasonably low traffic volumes to minimize the possibility of causing congestion or hazards.
  • Roadside soil must be able to support the weight of the farm equipment without causing rutting, or other damage to the turf.
  • Linear hay harvesting operations, such as along the Right-of-Way fence, are not allowed. 
  • Hay harvesting shall only be allowed in rural diamond shaped interchanges and no other areas.
  • Access to and from Limited Access Right-of-Way will only be allowed from an interchange cross road at an entrance point that is at least 300 feet from the ramp terminal or greater.
  • Hay harvesting shall not be allowed in median areas or any roadside area routinely mowed.  Under normal conditions, hay harvesting along freeways shall not be allowed closer than 15-20 feet to the shoulder of the road.
  • Hay harvesting shall not be allowed in areas where planted or desirable volunteer woody vegetation may be destroyed or damaged.
  • Submit permit applications and all documentation electronically in the Construction Permit System (CPS).

For more information on the Construction Permit process, click here

All construction permit applications are submitted and purchased through the MDOT Permit Gateway available thru MiLogin online system.