Local Government Agency Projects

Local governmental agencies regularly require access to State highway Right-of-Way during construction of federal or state funded projects and other locally funded projects.  These projects are located directly on, or intersect with State highway Right-of-Way, or require State highway Right-of-Way for detours or construction signing.

If a permitted project is not let and completed within the permitted timeframe the permit becomes invalid unless an extension is granted.

Since the Certificate of Insurance and surety documents may not be required in the local construction contract, the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) shall ensure that these two legal instruments are obtained prior to issuing a permit.  When a local governmental agency submits a construction permit application, typically no contractor has been selected yet.  Since the Certificate of Insurance or the construction surety may not be obtained from a not-yet-named-contractor, the permit applicant shall be the local governmental agency.                                             

Applicants must submit an individual permit application package through the Construction Permit System (CPS).

The following shall be included, if applicable: 

  • Detour routes

  • Sign postings

  • Permitted construction operational days and hours

  • Other appropriate regulatory documentation or stipulations

  • Certificate of Insurance

  • Performance bond

  • A fee may be required if the local governmental agency is working outside their jurisdictional boundary


For more information on the Construction Permit process, click here

All construction permit applications are submitted and purchased through the MDOT Permit Gateway available thru MiLogin online system.