How do I get a permit for a sign/billboard along the highway?

The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) has not issued permits for new signs since January 1, 2007. In order to apply for a location to construct a sign, a person or business first needs to hold a permit. The permit is then used to apply for a proposed location along the highway. To obtain a permit, one would need to purchase it from an existing permit holder. Inquiries related to existing permit holders can be directed to MDOT's Highway Advertising Specialist, Melissa Staffeld, (517) 335-2209.