Who do citizens contact when a crossing surface becomes rough? Who makes the repairs?

Citizens should contact their local county road commission or municipal department of public works. That agency can determine what corrective action is necessary and, if appropriate, contact the responsible railroad. Under Michigan law, railroads are responsible for crossing repairs out to a point one foot beyond the track ties; road authorities handle repairs to the approaches to the crossing.