Why do I need a permit to work in the State highway Right-of-Way?

Michigan state laws require permission from the governmental unit having jurisdiction of the street or highway to construct or conduct an operation inside of the State highway Right-of-Way. State-owned roads may include the following:

  • U.S. Route
  • Old U.S. Route
  • State "M" Route
  • Old State "M" Route
  • Interstate "I" Route
  • Connector Route
  • Business Spur
  • Business Route
  • Business Loop

    Note: Some US/M Routes may have a street name associated within city boundaries. For example, M-99 is also known as Martin Luther King Blvd.