The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
The MDOT Adopt-A-Landscape Program provides an avenue for individuals, organizations, or businesses to help maintain sections of roadside within Michigan's State Highway System. In addition to the aesthetic benefits of cleaner and more beautiful roadsides, participants help to prevent potential pollutants from entering our waterways and save countless Michigan taxpayer dollars every year.
The Adopt-A-Landscape Program provides a great opportunity to promote civic responsibility, community pride, and camaraderie within organizations. And, even though the Adopt-A-Landscape Program may not be used as a forum for advertising or public discourse, Adopt-A-Landscape courtesy signs provide prominent recognition for its participants.
| The Adopt-A-Landscape program allows for the following:
How Do I Adopt-A-Landscape?
- Decide on the general location you want.
- Discuss the location, project and Context Sensitive Solutions involvement (MDOT Form 3727) with your local MDOT Transportation Service Center (TSC) Construction Permit Agent. Further review and consideration by other individuals and agencies may also be required.
- Submit an Individual permit application in the Construction Permit System (CPS) through the MDOT Permit Gateway (MPG) with the following:
- Acceptance letters of activity from adjacent property owner(s) and the municipality or jurisdiction involved
- If hiring a contractor, the contractor's name shall be listed on the permit application
- If planting or vegetation control, work plans and schedules shall be submitted electronically with the permit application. Handouts and brochures are available from your TSC Construction Permit Agent and on the MDOT website with instructions for preparing plans/schedule
- Wait for your issued permit (signaling your acceptance into the program). This may take several weeks.
- Make sure you understand and conform to all provisions listed in your individual permit.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is required to participate
- Are you planning to use the Adopt-A-Landscape location for a future Commercial Billboard location
- Is there a fee
- Who is eligible
- How long do adoptions last
- How do I adopt a landscape
- After city approvals can I use the same site plan documents in applying for MDOT permit
- An important note about safety
- Could my permit ever be revoked
- Does adopting a landscape involve any insurance requirements
- Does adopting a landscape involve performance surety-bond requirements
- How do I get my groups name on an Adopt-A-Landscape sign
- How does MDOT approve Adopt-A-Landscape requests
- Options for when a desired area has already been adopted?
- What if the area I wish to adopt has already been adopted
- What if the section of land I want is already adopted
- What is an Individual Permit
- What Is CSS
- Will MDOT issue permits for multiple locations
- Are hardscape items allowed?
- Do volunteer groups have to go through this program
- Requirements when a Master Gardener club is the applicant