Sidewalk Cafés (Sale of Goods within Business Districts)
Public Act (PA) 300 of 1949, as amended, authorizes the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) to permit the use of State highway Right-of-Way for the purposes of establishing sidewalk cafes.
Applicants may be granted an individual permit, subject to the following requirements:
- The business applying for a permit shall occupy private property located adjacent to the site requested for the duration of the permit.
- The municipality, having jurisdiction over the site, shall pass a resolution authorizing the use requested in the application. The municipality shall also agree to enforce compliance with each MDOT sidewalk café permit within their jurisdiction.
- The issuance of a permit shall not confer any property right.
- The permitted activity shall not block, obstruct, or impede vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
- The permit may be limited or revoked if a permit holder conducts activities that create an unsafe situation or interferes with transportation along the State highway Right- of-Way, or if the permit holder is in violation of the conditions of the permit.
Applicants must submit an individual permit application package through the Construction Permit System (CPS) including the following:
- A sketch identifying the layout and portion of the proposed sidewalk café that will be located within the State highway Right-of-Way.
- Resolution from the local governmental agency
- Electronic Certificate of Insurance