Hurdles ahead as I-96/I-196 "Flip" project reaches finish line for 2019
- MDOT's project to realign the I-96/I-196/M-44/M-37 (East Beltline Avenue) interchange in Grand Rapids is wrapping up for the season
- Major closures will be in place over the next week-and-a-half for paving and striping.
- All lanes and ramps will reopen, with the exception of the new eastbound I-96 ramp to East Beltline Avenue.
October 31, 2019 -- The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is preparing to reopen all lanes and nearly all ramps at the I-96/I-196/East Beltline Avenue interchange.
"There are major closures ahead to get things ready before winter and the work is highly weather dependent, so the schedule will be quite fluid," said Art Green, Grand Rapids Transportation Service Center manager. "We haven't closed this interchange area in more than 50 years. It's been rough on everybody but with the way we've constructed this, we'll now have 50 years of less congestion, increased safety and better flow moving forward."
It all starts tomorrow, Nov. 1, with the closure of the East Beltline Avenue ramp to eastbound I-96. Here is a summary and tentative schedule of the upcoming closures:
- 9 a.m. Friday, Nov. 1, through Saturday, Nov. 9: The East Beltline Avenue ramp to eastbound I-96 will be closed.
- 9 a.m. Monday, Nov. 4, through Thursday, Nov. 7: The left lane of westbound I-96/I-196 will be closed from East Beltline Avenue to Maryland Avenue.
- 9 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 6, through 5 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 7: One lane will be open on westbound I-96 from M-21 (Fulton Street) to the I-96/I-196 split. The M-21 ramp to westbound I-96 will be closed.
- 12:01 through 5 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 7: Westbound I-196 will be closed from I-96 to Fuller Avenue.
- 1 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 7: One lane of eastbound I-96 will reopen at Leonard Street.
- 5 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 7: The southbound East Beltline Avenue ramp to westbound I-96 will reopen.
- 1 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 7, through Saturday, Nov. 9: Eastbound I-196 will be closed from Fuller Avenue to I-96.
- Thursday night, Nov. 7/Friday morning, Nov. 8: Eastbound I-96 will reopen along with the Leonard Street ramp to eastbound I-96.
Learn more about the I-96/I-196 Flip on MDOT's YouTube channel.