The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Cadillac Avenue overpass demolition requires closing I-94 this weekend in Detroit
- MDOT is replacing the Cadillac Avenue overpass above I-94.
- Demolition work requires closing I-94 between I-75 and Conner Avenue starting Friday night. All lanes on I-94 are expected to reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, March 15.
- Ramp closures will continue through the rebuilding of the Cadillac Avenue overpass.
March 10, 2021 -- Weather permitting, Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) contract crews will be demolishing the Cadillac Avenue overpass above I-94 in Detroit this weekend. This work will require closing both directions of I-94 between I-75 and Conner Avenue starting at 9 p.m. Friday, March 12. All lanes of I-94 are expected to reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, March 15.
During this closure, westbound I-94 traffic will be detoured via westbound M-102 (Eight Mile Road), southbound M-3 (Gratiot Avenue), the westbound Gratiot Connector, and northbound I-75 back to westbound I-94.
One lane of westbound I-94 will be open for local traffic up to Conner Avenue. All entrance ramps to westbound I-94 will be closed beginning at 7 p.m. from Chalmers to Chene streets and will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
Eastbound I-94 traffic will be detoured via southbound I-75, the eastbound Gratiot Connector, northbound M-3, and eastbound M-102 back to eastbound I-94. All entrance ramps to eastbound I-94 will be closed starting at 7 p.m. from I-96 to Gratiot Avenue and will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.
Beginning Monday, March 15, the following ramps will remain closed and detoured during the rebuilding of Cadillac Avenue:
- The M-3 entrance ramp to eastbound I-94,
- The eastbound I-94 exit to French Road, and
- The French Road entrance ramp to westbound I-94.
The new Cadillac Avenue bridge will replace the current structure built in 1957.