The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
I-94 Road Bridge Rebuilding Project - Jackson County
About this project
Local, national and international trade traffic on I-94 in Jackson has increased substantially since the freeway opened to traffic in 1960. The current corridor is, in part, functionally obsolete and is scheduled to be upgraded to current design standards in the next seven to 10 years. All this work includes improvements identified in the I-94 Jackson Freeway Modernization Project study, which included a Record of Decision in March 2007.
This project is broken down into three phases.
- Two lanes open in each direction most of the time on I-94, with short-term single-lane closures possible at off-peak times.
- Expect single-lane closures on I-94 between M-99 and M-60 weekly from 9 a.m. Monday through 3 p.m. Friday, and from 6 a.m. - 3 p.m. on Saturdays during the construction season.
Summer 2018 - Spring 2025
Increased safety & mobility
Improved lifecycle costs
Phase 3 (2022 - 2025)
Work in this phase will include:
- Rebuilding approximately 12.5 miles of freeway from the Jackson/Calhoun County line to M-60.
- Reconfiguring the Michigan Avenue interchange with the addition of roundabouts.
- Reconfiguring the Dearing Road interchange with the addition of roundabouts.
- Preventive maintenance on 10 bridges along the I-94 corridor.
Phase 2 (2021 - 2023) - Completed
In this phase, MDOT will rebuild portions of I-94 between the Airport Road interchange and the US-127 south interchange. Other improvements include:
- Rebuilding the I-94/US-127/West Avenue interchange to be a diverging diamond interchange.
- Rebuilding the Lansing Avenue bridge over I-94 to be higher and wider than the current bridge to accommodate the widening of I-94.
- Rebuilding the I-94/Elm Avenue interchange to include roundabouts at the eastbound ramp terminal, the westbound ramp terminal, and the Rosehill Road/Elm Avenue/Seymour Road intersection.
- Installing freeway lighting on I-94 from the Airport Road interchange to east of the Elm Road interchange to improve safety for motorists and first responders. This will include lighting on most ramps within the project limits.
Phase 1 (2018- 2020) - Completed
During this first phase, MDOT made the following improvements along I-94:
- Rebuilt 1.4 miles of freeway between Lansing Avenue and Elm Road.
- Resurfaced 3.5 miles between Lansing Avenue and M-60, and 4 miles between Elm Road and Sargent Road.
- Rebuilt the I-94/Cooper Street interchange, built new roundabouts on each side of the new bridge, and rebuilt each of the ramps.
- Replaced the I-94 bridge over the Grand River.
- As part of this phase, I-94 was shifted approximately 60 feet south of its current location.