Archives of Michigan Visitor Information
702 West Kalamazoo Street
Lansing, MI 48915
The Archives of Michigan is located on the second floor of the east wing of the Michigan Library and Historical Center, on the north side of Kalamazoo Street, two blocks east of M. L. King Jr. Boulevard.
There is no fee or admission charge for entering the Archives of Michigan.
The Archives of Michigan is open six days a week according to the following schedule:
Monday through Friday, 1 to 5 p.m.
Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Archives of Michigan is closed on official state holidays and several other days throughout the year. Please visit our Holiday Closing Schedule for complete information.
Be sure to bring your driver license or other valid photo identification—you will not be able to access archival material without it.
- As much as possible, know dates, places and government agencies related to your topic of research.
- Have specific records in mind.
- If you're looking for land records, know legal descriptions.
- Check online guides and online indexes before you arrive.
If you are part of a large group who would like to visit the Archives of Michigan, please contact us in advance.
We invite you to explore our online calendar, where you'll find all Michigan History Center events throughout the state.
The Archives of Michigan is located inside the Michigan Library and Historical Center. Designated disability parking is available at the south (wheelchair-accessible) entrance of the building.
The following amenities are available at the Michigan Library and Historical Center:
- wireless access to the Internet
- Food service
- The Museum Store gift shop
- A nursing room
- A sick room
Visitor parking is located south of the building, with a $1 hourly fee (maximum $8) on weekdays. Weekend parking is free. Buses park for free every day; please see instructions below. Visitors should use the Kalamazoo Street entrance, turning onto the circle drive to enter the visitor parking lot.
Additional public parking is available north of the building across Allegan Street (east of the Hall of Justice and Vietnam Memorial). However, the north entrance of the Michigan Library and Historical Center building is not accessible to those with mobility impairments.
Tips on using the automated parking system:
- This is a no cash, no coins system.
- Swipe your Visa, MasterCard or Discover card to lift the entrance gate. You will not receive a spitter ticket - the system has logged your credit/debit card information with a time-stamp of your entry. Your card will not be charged at this time.
- To exit the lot, insert the same credit/debit card you used to enter the lot. Your parking fee will be calculated and charged to the card provided; the gate will lift, allowing you to exit.
Bus drivers: When you arrive, pull forward close to the entrance gate. Laser sensors will note your arrival and the gate will be opened from a remote location. This may take a moment, so please be patient. Buses never need to use a credit/debit card to open the gate. If there is a problem, please press the button on the gate for assistance. Park in the areas designated for bus parking. When exiting the lot, please follow the same procedure as when entering. The exit gate is located across the lot from the entrance gate.
Send us an e-mail or telephone 517-373‑1414. On October 16, 2018, this phone number will change to 517-335-2576.
Find out about college internship opportunities that may be available at the Archives of Michigan.