Internships at the Michigan History Center
The 2019 application period is open through March 22.
The Michigan History Center offers internships in a wide variety of archival and museum-related specializations. These internships offer practical experience to complement academic studies. All interns are extended the opportunity to learn about many facets of public history from MHC staff members working in varied specializations and with a wide range of experiences and perspectives.
Internships are unpaid (unless otherwise noted) and are available for both undergraduate and graduate students who are studying to enter a professional field related to history, museums or archives. Education requirements vary for each internship position and may include introductory course work in archives, museum studies, public history or a related field.
Internships take place at the Michigan History Center in Lansing, unless otherwise noted. Internships must be completed for credit through your college or university. If you are interested in completing a project at the Michigan History Center not for credit, please explore our volunteer program.
Before applying for an internship at the Michigan History Center, please read the following:
- Michigan History Center internship overview - PDF
- Michigan History Center internship requirements - PDF
- Michigan History Center Archives Internship
- Michigan History Center Engagement Internship
- Woldumar/Michigan History Center History and Education Internship
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for 2019 Summer Internships are due by March 22, 2019. Interviews will take place in person or via Zoom throughout late March and April.
- Complete the internship application form - PDF
- Compose a cover letter or purpose statement that includes:
- Your academic major and minor
- Particular academic and/or work interests that may relate to a public history internship
- E-mail the application, cover letter and your résumé to:
Michigan History Center