Michigan Freedom Trail Commission Heritage Gathering Call for ProposalsDate: March 01, 2021 - June 01, 2021
Time: All Day Event
- Send proposals to Sheri Giffin, Executive Secretary
- Deadline: JUNE 1, 2021
The Michigan Freedom Trail Commission
and the Michigan History Center, in partnership with the William L. Clements Library, invite proposals for presentations to be given at the fourth annual Michigan Underground Railroad Heritage Gathering. The conference will be held virtually, over multiple dates during the month of September; as well as with a tentative in-person session scheduled for October 2 at the Clements Library on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan.
The Heritage Gathering is an annual conference for individuals, organizations and communities interested in our state's Underground Railroad heritage. Building off the previous years and the 2020 virtual Heritage Gathering, the 2021 conference will provide a variety of opportunities for learning and networking through keynote speakers, workshops, and group and individual presentations. It will continue to foster opportunities for collaboration.
The commission welcomes proposals that envision in-person, online and hybrid formats, both to preserve as much flexibility as possible in our planning in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and to meet the needs for accessibility and broad public outreach. The commission is interested in group and individual presentations that share state and local Michigan Underground Railroad stories of both activists and freedom seekers, as well as examples of how communities have recovered and promoted these stories.
- Proposals for group presentations should be a maximum of 500 words.
- Proposals for individual presentations should be a maximum of 300 words.
- All proposals must be accompanied by brief biographies of the participants that highlight their connection to the topic (not to exceed 250 words each).
- All proposals must contain contact information for every presenter included in the proposal.
We invite you to explore our online calendar, where you'll find all Michigan History Center events
throughout the state.