The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Payment of Stipend
Do mentor teachers receive payments under the MI Future Educator Stipend?
What can I use the MI Future Educator Stipend on?
Allowable student teaching expenses:
- Tuition costs.
- Living expenses, including, but not limited to, housing costs, health care costs, and transportation costs.
- Childcare costs for a dependent of the student teacher.
- Any other costs associated with student teaching.
What is the maximum MI Future Educator Stipend award I can receive?Up to $9,600 per semester to be paid towards allowable student teaching expenses.
Can I be compensated for my student teaching and receive the MI Future Educator Stipend?
No, you cannot receive compensation during your required student teaching experience and receive the MI Future Educator Stipend.
Students cannot be paid by their district for their student teaching experience. If a student is paid as a substitute teacher for work outside of their student teaching experience, they may still qualify for the MI Future Educator Stipend.
- A student is considered 'paid' if they are receiving consistent pay for their student teacher experience, whether they are paid by the school district or a third-party substitute teaching servicer, or if they are receiving a lump sum payment for their student teaching experience.
- Students who occasionally substitute teach for their mentor teachers or within their student teaching school district are considered 'unpaid' and eligible for the MI Future Educator Stipend. Students who complete at least 300 student contact hours in an unpaid capacity meet the 'unpaid' parameter.
How do I receive the MI Future Educator Stipend?
Approved funds will be sent to your institution’s financial aid office.
For students attending private institutions, funds will be sent to the school district you are completing your student teaching.
The school district will then send the funds to the institution’s financial aid office.
Will the stipend be taxed?
You will need to discuss any income tax related questions with a tax professional.
Your institution will be required to issue a IRS Form 1099 to you, which you may use to report the MI Future Educator Stipend on your Federal Tax Return.
Will the stipend impact my other financial aid?
No. The stipend is paid directly to students and does not affect your financial aid package.