The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Top 5 Questions for Michigan Achievement Scholarship
What is the Michigan Achievement Scholarship?
The Michigan Achievement Scholarship is a new state scholarship to make college more affordable for families. Starting with the class of 2023, high school graduates will be eligible for more financial aid from the state, up to:
- $2,750 if they attend a community college, per year.
- $5,500 if they attend a public university, per year.
- $4,000 if they attend a private college or university, per year.
Students are eligible if their family demonstrates financial need when they complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The scholarship was created in 2022 with bipartisan support through Public Act 212 of 2022.
Am I eligible for the scholarship?
To receive a Michigan Achievement Scholarship, students must:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Be a Michigan resident since July 1 of the previous calendar year.
- Graduate from high school in Michigan in 2023 or after OR complete a certificate of high school completion or equivalency certificate in 2023 or after.
- Demonstrate financial need when they complete the FAFSA—by having an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $25,000 or less.
- Enroll full-time at an eligible institution—including Michigan community colleges, tribal colleges, and public or private universities.
- Enroll at an eligible institution within 15 months of high school graduation or earning a high school equivalency certificate.
Students are not eligible if they are incarcerated or are in default on a federal student loan.
When can I apply?
You can apply today by completing your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A separate application is not required.
Students are also encouraged to create an account in the MiSSG Portal so you can track the status of your scholarship. You can create a MiSSG Student Portal account 3 – 5 business days after completing your FAFSA.
When will I know if I will receive a scholarship?
We are working hard to confirm your eligibility for the Michigan Achievement Scholarship as soon as possible. Be the first to hear when more information is available by signing up for email updates.
Some colleges may also provide prospective students with an estimate of scholarships and grants available to a student contingent upon the student being accepted and enrolled at their college. Typically, students must be accepted at an institution and make a final decision to enroll at that institution to get a final offer of scholarships.
Who can I contact for help?